Thursday, July 2, 2009

Savior, Redeemer of My Soul

Savior, Redeemer of My Soul
Hymn #112 LDS Hymns
Words by Orson F. Whitney (couple of minor adaptations)

Savior, Redeemer of My Soul,
Whose Mighty Pow'r Hath Made Me Whole,
Whose wond'rous hand hath raised me--hath raised me up,
And filled with sweet my bitter cup.
What tongue of gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.

Never can I repay Thee, Lord,
But I can love Thee, Thy pure word.
Hast Thou not been my one true delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim-proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect Thy will.

O'errule my acts to serve Thy ends,
Change frowning friends to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul to I shall be,
In perfect harmony with Thee.

Make me more worthy of Thy love
And fit me for the life above. The life above.

President Packer once said in his very famous talk on the arts (I'm thinking about late 70s) that Elder Orson F. Whitney was one of the greatest poets in our culture, but someone very underappreciated (sorry--I'll find the actual quote to do it justice). About nine years ago, I was looking through the LDS Hymnbook to find some hymns to arrange. I happened upon this hymn, #112. With all regards to Harry Dean (who happened to have led Manti Messiah events that my husband participated in when he was young), I didn't really feel like his setting was what I wanted to arrange. I was taken very much with the text--it's beautiful, it expresses the very thoughts I have when I think of the majesty of our Father's plan, then reflect on my own weaknesses, and then convey my desires for our Father and His Son to allow that plan take effect in my life as I try to do my part. When I first worked with this, there was a melodic idea that I had floating around in my head. I tried for years to get the first verse to take a form I liked, but it just never happened. I went through my graduate study, through pre-courtship, then through courtship, marriage, stepparenthood, and eventually through expecting my first baby. It was at this time, about 3-4 months along in my pregnancy, that the whole entire concept of this hymn text came together with the music so beautifully and perfectly that I felt such gratitude to have been able to be the instrument to set this wonderful text (I've also heard Rob Gardner's setting, which is hauntingly beautiful). This joy helped me through finding out my first baby had died in the womb halfway through the pregnancy and I went through delivering a half-pound baby girl. I have created an SSA version and a SATB version of this. I enjoy the piano accompaniment, but I think it could be made a little different and be possibly a more effective accompaniment. But I am grateful for this hymn. I am grateful for Elder Whitney's inspiration in writing this and so much else--he's someone I've studied quite a bit and he has a very interesting story, being Heber C. Kimball's grandson, being called as an Apostle during the early 1900s--he's quoted quite a bit by General Authorities even today. It's wonderful to have poetry that we can create beautiful music for that enhances the text. Thank you, Elder Whitney!

No comments:

Post a Comment