I can always imagine music playing in the background, accompanying the events of our lives. Many think it's strange that on old musicals, you all of the sudden have people break into song as if everyone hears the same music and each feels inspired at the exact same time to express the exact same thing. (I love the movie, Enchanted, which pokes a little fun at that idea).
I, however, am intrigued with the idea that maybe there's a movie score playing in the background of our lives--with different themes & motifs coming in, depending on the people, events, thoughts, and emotions of our day.
I love imagining that indeed this was the case as Joseph Smith went into the grove that fateful spring morning in 1820 with a determination to pray and ask His Father which Church to join. I can imagine "The Spirit of God" playing in subdued tones, as if to foreshadow what was to come, then "Praise to the Man" breaks in, with all who were witnessing on the other side so excited to see what was just about to take place. Then the music fades, and we're left with the chorus of birds in the trees, bees going about their work, and the beauty of the spring morning permeating it all. Into that scene steps Joseph Smith, about to offer perhaps one of the two or three most important prayers of all time. He humbly kneels and begins to offer up a prayer in a way he had never done before. Forcefully and abruptly, he is overcome by and begins a struggle with a dark, unseen power, working to prevent him from supplicating His Father and receiving the answer he so desires more than anything. He perseveres, undaunted, in spite of the power which has him bound--you can hear his spirit crying out--save me, with echoes of themes that will eventually define his life attempting to lift him out of this abyss. Suddenly, at the moment of greatest alarm, a light, brighter and more glorious than anything ever earthly seen, pierces the darkness--and a luminous ball of brilliant light begins to descend until it falls around him and illuminates everything it surrounds with a light greater than noonday. Then two figures appear, magnificent and wonderful, with a anticipation of what was to come building, as those witnessing know just the sheer significance of their both coming to Joseph and of the truth that is just about to be imparted personally. I can imagine all is quiet and still as the Father begins that glorious introduction--Joseph, this is beloved--hear Him." Oh, how sweet the word is, with music sweet and tender letting the world know that He is over all and will answer prayers and will and is giving us truth sweet and powerful to pierce the darkness. Joseph's humble prayer is answered, with echoes of the music which accompanied that prayer. As he listens, he is filled with a rapture and excitement above all, for He saw the living God--THE LIVING GOD. He didn't know then what this prayer would lead to, how much it would consume his life, but I'm sure he had chosen this part, this role. As he left the grove, pondering on all that had just taken place, I can imagine a choir, singing in unison, "Praise to the Man who communed with Jehovah, Hail to the Prophet," as the "Spirit of God like is burning," with an excitement and anticipation about the work just beginning--the restoration of the fulness of the Gospel to the earth, the restoration of the knowledge of who our Father is and of what His Son Jesus Christ did for all of us, of the establishment of His Church--The Church of Jesus Christ--The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And it all begin with a prayer, kindled by the faith of a 14-year-old boy who entered a grove so he could get an answer to a question that so forcefully pressed itself on him. He gave his lifetime in dedication to His Father and His Savior, Jesus Christ, and ultimately gave his life for this glorious cause. Millions shall know "Brother Joseph" again. I give this testimony that these things are true and did happen--and with heartfelt strains of music that I consecrate to the Father, I add to that testimony.
Joseph Smith's First Prayer/Oh How Lovely Was the Morning
LDS Hymns #26
Words and Music by George Manwaring
Oh, how lovely was the morning,
Radiant beamed the sun above,
Bees were humming, Sweet birds singing,
Music ringing through the grove.
When within the shady woodland, Joseph sought the God of love.
When within the shady woodland, Joseph sought the God of love.
Humbly kneeling, sweet appealing,
'Twas the boy's first uttered prayer.
When the pow'rs of sin assailing,
Filled his soul with deep despair.
But, undaunted, still he trusted, in his Heavenly Father's care.
But, undaunted, still he trusted, in his Heavenly Father's care.
Suddenly, a light descended,
Brighter far than noonday sun.
And a shining glorious pillar,
O'er him fell, around him shone,
While appeared two heavenly being, God the Father and the Son.
While appeared two heavenly being, God the Father and the Son.
"Joseph, this is my beloved. Hear him."
Oh, how sweet the word.
Joseph's humble prayer was answered,
And he listened to the Lord.
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom, for he saw the living God.
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom, for he saw the living God.
Oh, how lovely was the morning, for he saw the living God.
This arrangement came into being when my sister, Sherri, and I were trying to come up with a hymn to sing in sacrament meeting way back in 1998 when my Uncle Ray Knowles & Aunt Colleen spoke in our Sunset ward, talking out their recent mission in Kirtland, Ohio. Over the years, the key structure has changed a bit, especially in the last two verses, and the last half of the second verse has come into what I consider its best form--I think I've pretty much got the structure of everything just where it's supposed to be now to really fully express and reflect the meaning of the text. I've also got this in SATB form, though the piano part is maybe a little on the more difficult side. Sometime I'll be able to make a little easier to play.
Chris, this is absolutely amazing! I'm going to have Jake read this when he gets a moment. How exciting.
ReplyDeleteI have always been amazed at the layers and depth we are able to accompish when performing one of your arrangements. It's really something to see you put it into writing.
Hi My name is Garrett Jones and our ward choir is singing this for stake conference and we need the hymn music for SATB? Could you please send it to my email if you have it? gkjones87@hotmail.com thanks again!
ReplyDelete